myblog -july '09
-click here to read a short bio of insaner-
current blog | archive:
Friday, July 31, 2009
best way to say brb? "boron rubidium".. lame? yes. cool? also yes!
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
an interview with a young mark zuckerberg (aka, the creator of facebook)
+ view video
Zimbabwe Printed the First $100 Trillion Dollar Note in History
For most of us, we would be very impressed with One Trillion Dollars. However for the average Zimbabwe citizens, they are much less than impressed, since they got their first $100 Trillion Dollar note.
Zimbabwe?s central bank had introduced a 100 trillion dollar note as the once prosperous country battles to keep pace with hyperinflation that has caused many to abandon the country?s currency.
The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe said the new notes that includes 50 trillion, 20 trillion and 10 trillion would be released for the ?convenience of the public,? according to statement released Thursday.
?In a move meant to ensure that the public has access to their money from banks, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe has introduced a new family of bank notes which will gradually come into circulation, starting with the 10 trillion Zimbabwe dollar,? the bank said in its announcement.
The new 100 trillion dollar bill would be worth about $300 in U.S. currency. A loaf of bread in Zimbabwe now costs about 300 billion Zimbabwean dollars ? and like most commodities, the price increases every day.
Even vegetable vendors prefer the U.S. dollar, South African rand or Botswanan pula, and most workers now demand their salaries in foreign currency.
end your day off right.. (or start it, depending on when you read this):
Jem Stansfield builds a vortex cannon to blow a house of bricks over.
+ view video
wow this is interesting City Aids Homeless With One-Way Tickets Home
They are flown to Paris ($6,332), Orlando ($858.40), Johannesburg ($2,550.70), or most frequently, San Juan ($484.20).
They are not executives on business trips or couples on honeymoons. Rather, all are families who have ended up homeless, and all the plane tickets are courtesy of the city of New York (one-way).
The Bloomberg administration, which has struggled with a seemingly intractable problem of homelessness for years, has paid for more than 550 families to leave the city since 2007, as a way of keeping them out of the expensive shelter system, which costs $36,000 a year per family. All it takes is for a relative elsewhere to agree to take the family in.
Many of them are longtime New Yorkers who have come upon hard times, arrive at the shelter?s doorstep and jump at the offer to move at no cost. Others are recent arrivals who are happy to return home after becoming discouraged by the city?s noise, the mazelike subway, the difficult job market or the high cost of housing.
another awesome one from james white
. tackling the question of how calvinism affects evangelism..
Does Calvinism stop evangelism? Well, the way you answer that question is dependent on what you're holding to be the standard for evangelism. If evangelism is getting tazered in front of a packed house, dropping objects from helicopters, or having rock concerts on Sunday mornings so you can coerce people into raising their hand, then yes; Calvinism does stop "evangelism". If, however, you hold the Bible to be the standard for objective truth and derive definitions from it, Calvinism not only encourages evangelism, it actually does it as opposed to the cases stated above. In Romans 1, Paul said, "So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also." (Rom 1:15) The Greek word for "preach the gospel" is ???????????? or euaggelizo? and it means "to announce good news ("evangelize") especially the gospel: - declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel)" Note who Paul was sharing his desire to preach the gospel to. He was speaking of believers. It kind of puts a new (or rather old) spin on what it actually means to evangelize.
James White discussed this in a Sunday School lecture a few years ago. He gave me permission to post this here. I recommend his website: http://www.aomin.org
Here is the 12 part series that this audio came from. It's called Common Attacks Against Reformed Theology.
-Does Calvinism STOP Evangelism Or Actually Do it? (1of2)+ view video
-Does Calvinism STOP Evangelism Or Actually Do it? (2of2)+ view video
Monday, July 27, 2009
slow monday? let insaner help!
Scared boy trying to say happy birthday to roseanne.+ view video
Sunday, July 26, 2009
oh gosh.. wow.. people are soooo egocentric.. haha
Haim Goldenberg - Its All About You+ view video
(haha i tagged it as "optical illusions".. cuz you know, having a mirror in front of you gives the illusion that there is NOTHING else!
hmm.. i was wondering if i would fall for this.. but to be honest, im not sure.. i keep thinking i wouldnt, because i have a wondering mind, and text on a big van would really grab my attention.. but then again, these people were aware of the cameras on them, which could affect your normal behavior..
Sunday, July 19, 2009
ok, i just had to comment on this. i was clicking through links, (as you may have noticed) and landed on a page whose title was "world's most dangerous drug". i expected to find something about ricin or some such thing.. but instead, it was a page on meth. ok, so i keep reading, and the guy describes how terrible a drug this is, how much it has ruined certain cities completely (he mentions portland as the main example), he also mentions how he met a recovering meth addict whose life had been completely destroyed... but then, and you wont believe this, the page's author, after going on for a couple paragraphs on how bad this drug is, goes on to give a full recipe and detailed instructions on how to make meth!! the instructions were actually twice as long as the original article too!! like, what in the HAIL is wrong with people? how does this make ANY sense?? seriously, this world we live in.. i dont get it. sin really REALLY makes us stupid..
awesome photos of what i am guessing is after a winter storm.. Estonian Fairy Tale
and more interesting stuff (with photos!) World's Most Bizarre Birth Defects
.. (more links to come!)
in keeping with our little science theme, some really really cool photos of Slime Molds
heres another for your evolutionist friends.. i've posted about this before, but here is yet another list of "hybrids" (aka, how we see the biblical "kinds" breeding and reproducing ) 10 Amazing Hybrid Animals
(click on the link to see the pictures).. this list includes:
- Zebroid = Zebra + EquineA zebroid (also zebra mule and zebrule) is the offspring of any cross between a zebra and any other equine: essentially, a zebra hybrid. In most cases, the sire is a zebra stallion. Offspring of a donkey sire and zebra mare, called a zebra hinny, do exist but are rare. Zebroids have been bred since the 19th century.The zebroid showed in the picture above, Eclyse, is a very unusual one, because of her coloring. With her über distinct makings, it's really hard not think she's a Photoshop mock-up.
- Liger = Lion + TigerThe liger is a hybrid cross between a male Panthera leo (lion), and a female Panthera tigris (Tiger) and is denoted scientifically as Panthera tigris × Panthera leo. A liger resembles a giant lion with diffused stripes. They are the largest cats in the world, although the Siberian Tiger is the largest pure sub-species. Like tigers, but unlike lions, ligers enjoy swimming. A similar hybrid, the offspring of a male tiger and a female lion is called a tigon.
- Beefalo = Buffalo + CowWhat do you get when you cross a cow with a buffalo? The Beefalo, a hybrid animal that produces red meat lower in fat and cholesterol than beef. Most consumers have never heard of beefalo, let alone tasted it, and only a few Seattle grocery stores carry it.
How does a buffalo burger compare to a beef one? "It has a richer flavor and it's milder and sweeter than beef," says Ellensburg beefalo breeder Mark Merril, "and more juicy."
- Cama = Camel + LlamaThis hybrid animal, the product of breeding a llama and a camel, has been the only creature of this kind since her birth in 1995. Camas are humpless and have the long fluffy coat of a llama. Their ears are half way in length between camels and llamas, but they have the strong, desert-ready legs of a camel.
- Leopon = Leopard + LionThe Leopon is the result of breeding a male leopard with a female lion. The head of the animal is similar to that of a lion while the rest of the body carries similarities to leopards. The first documented leopon was bred at Kolhapur, India in 1910.
- Savannah = Serval + Domestic CatThe Savannah Cat is created by breeding an African Wild Cat, called a Serval and a domestic cat, usually an exotic looking domestic cat such as a Bengal, Oriental Shorthair, Egyptian Mau, or a Serengeti's. The offspring created by this combination are large domestic.
- Grizzly Polar = Polar Bear + Brown BearAlso known as Grolar Bear, this bear hybrid is a rare ursid hybrid that has occurred both in captivity and in the wild. In 2006, the occurrence of this hybrid in nature was confirmed by testing the DNA of a strange-looking bear that had been shot on Banks Island in the Canadian arctic.
A number of polar bear hybrids are described as Ursid hybrids, a term that designates any hybrid of two species within the Ursidae family. Polar bear hybrids with Grizzly bears have been reported and shot, but DNA techniques were not available to verify the bears' ancestry.
- Toast of Botswana = Sheep + GoatAn unusual case of a sheep-goat hybrid was reported by veterinarians in Botswana in 2000, called the "Toast of Botswana". The animal was born naturally from the mating of a female goat with a male sheep that were kept together.
The hybrid was intermediate between the two parent species in type. It had a coarse outer coat, a woolly inner coat, long goat-like legs and a heavy sheep-like body. Although infertile, the hybrid had a very active libido, mounting both ewes and does when they were not in heat. This earned the hybrid the name Bemya or rapist. He was castrated when he was 10 months old because he was becoming a nuisance.
so, to the evolutionist, how, again, was it that you defined a species?? how can we have a speciation event (on which the theory of evolution is completely dependent to be a viable explanation) if the definition for species is just so flawed?? how is it that a goat and a sheep can produce offspring?? hmm?
and to the bible scholar, this is especially interesting to see that sheep and goats can procreate.. isnt it? talk about uneven yoke! one kind, but the sheep and the goats will be separated! very very interesting indeed!
Friday, July 17, 2009
this, is just incredible:
Learn Arabic for free
Learning Arabic is not an easy thing. It doesn't help that there are not many resources available to learn for free. Looking around you can find software costing hundreds of dollars.
EZ Arabic is an open source project with the missionary in mind. Each part of the program is designed for folks wishing to serve the Lord in the Middle East or North Africa
Features of EZ Arabic
- Free: EZ Arabic is free and open source. You can not only download it and share it but you are encouraged to do so. (GPL)
The more the program is shared and changed the more it will improve over time.
- 100% compatable with Linux and Windows
seems like this thing has games, quizzes and all sorts of things to learn.. oh man.. what an amazing resource!! if only i could find something like this for hebrew..
Monday, July 13, 2009
a mummified dinosaur. mummified. haha, i love how they dance around the implications..
Could this recent discovery of a dinosaur mummy actually be proof of the Flood in the days of Noah.+ view video
nice video entitled "proof".. this one is for the atheists mostly..
Most of us have thought how much easier it would be to follow God if we could just see Him once. The truth, though, is that He is all around us. We just fail to see recognize the evidence. There are many things, like gravity for example, which we can't see, but that we know are real because we see their effects on the world around us. In the same way, we can't see God, but we can see Him at work in this world. He is making Himself known, and the proof is all around us.+ view video
Sunday, July 12, 2009
a guy on my social networking profile had this as his status:
Dear Smokers: Your apathy is going to last until the exact moment of your diagnosis. Enjoy your regrets at the end.
doesnt this nail it perfectly?
Friday, July 10, 2009
Why do people laud this man as a deep thinker? He is amazingly facile in his thought and his answers. Here is an example. Update: I keep forgetting that when you address atheism on YouTube you turn off comments since atheists have no moral restraints so as to control their tongues, or, in this case, their keyboards. My apologies.+ view video
"When the tide is low, every shrimp has his puddle."
- Vance Havner
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
God can't use me or at least shouldn't use me. We've probably all thought it at some point. However, studying the Bible shows us that many flawed people were used by God in powerful ways. They were just as unqualified as you. So now what's your excuse?
Adapted from the writings of Matt Tullos. God can't use me or at least shouldn't use me. We've probably all thought it at some point. However, studying the Bible shows us that many flawed people were used by God in powerful ways. They were just as unqualified as you. So now what's your excuse?+ view video
ever been this lady?
When the Lord asks us to do something, how do we respond?+ view video
a quote the wheel-burt
sent me (roughly translated):
"upon dying on the cross, Jesus fulfilled the oriental symbolism of paying the required dowry price to take a bride"
Saturday, July 4, 2009
John Piper: How would you share a reformed understanding of the Gospel?
For more resources, visit http://www.desiringGod.org
+ view video
just pure awesomeness.. no less
couple of fun videos to start/end your day off nicely
Creative Toothpaste Pranks+ view video
olympic scandal.. the germans sure know how to win+ view video
Friday, July 3, 2009
this was soo funny.. oh goodness..
This ten minute clip is drawn from the famous 1950s game show, and it's quite surreal. I don't use the word surreal loosely: the special guest is Salvador Dali.+ view video
-click here to read a short bio of insaner-
current blog | archive: